What's the significance of the dots in the upper left corner of the Kinect point clouds?

What's the significance of the dots in the upper left corner of the Kinect point clouds?

Matt Bell
I've noticed that all the captured Kinect point clouds have a line of points in the upper left corner (when viewed from the sensor perspective), beyond the boundary of the captured area.  Does anyone know the significance of these dots?

I was going to start removing them, but then I started wondering if they encode any useful information.

Re: What's the significance of the dots in the upper left corner of the Kinect point clouds?

Suat Gedikli
we noticed that problem too, but it changes from device to device. It seems to us, that the depth calculation and/or registration does not work good on the edges. Probably the block matching of the projected pattern is instable on the corners... but thats just a guess.

Suat
Suat