Viewing Kinect depth and texture data

blueskin
Hello All,

Does anyone know how I can use ROS or RViz for visualizing Kinect depth data with texture (i.e. image)?
Thanks for any help.
Best,
Chenna

Re: [Ros-kinect] Viewing Kinect depth and texture data

Patrick Goebel
Hi Chenna,

This would be a great question to re-post on http://answers.ros.org.  It
would also help to know if you are already fairly familiar with ROS and
RViz or just getting started.  I believe the answer to your question is
fairly straightforward but it depends on where you are with ROS itself.

--patrick

On 03/06/2011 07:33 AM, bluesin wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> Does anyone know how I can use ROS or RViz for visualizing Kinect depth data
> with texture (i.e. image)?
> Thanks for any help.
> Best,
> Chenna

Re: [Ros-kinect] Viewing Kinect depth and texture data

blueskin
Hi Patrick,
I did post on answers.ros here
Initially I was trying to just visualize an OBJ model in Rviz but looked like a similar problem with kinect data so I posted here.
I consider myself a beginner, I've used Rviz for visualizing Swissranger 4000 and Kinect data (depth data only). I've learned some stuff about ROS and how it works (topics, publishing/subscribing, nodes, packages etc..). I am familiar with IPC based architecture and I think of ROS on similar lines.
Right now I have my own OpenGL code for loading and visualizing OBJ models or 3D models with texture but I prefer RViz. What do you suggest?

Thank you.
Chenna

Re: [Ros-kinect] Viewing Kinect depth and texture data

Patrick Goebel
Hi Chenna,

I see now.  I think I was misinterpreting your second question as it
relates to Kinect data.  (Not your fault--I just read it wrong.)  I
thought maybe you did not know about the three viewing modes (Color
Transformer option) in RViz for viewing the Kinect point could data.
Unfortunately, I'm enough of a beginner myself that I don't know how to
answer your question regarding meshes and textures.

Sorry!
patrick