[Ros-kinect] rviz slowdown

Jeh-Sang Cho
Hi, I successfully configured my kinect to work with ROS.
My problem is occurs when I use rivz.
I ran rviz using "rosrun rviz rivz"

My problem is that when I add Point Cloud2 to the display, the rviz becomes really slow and almost impossible to use.
The added Point Cloud2 shows depth display but it responses really slowly to the changes in environment in front of the kinect and at the end the rviz almost stops to run.

Is there a setting changes or any way to solve my problem?
I'm using Ubuntu 10.04.

Thanks.

-JC

Re: [Ros-kinect] rviz slowdown

Patrick Goebel
H Jeh-Sang,

This would be a great question for answers.ros.org since piles of people (including me) run into this problem.  In my case, it results from my computer and/or graphics system being unable to keep up with the default point cloud resolution which is VGA (640x480) at 30Hz.  Once I reduce the resolution, performance increases dramatically.  I normally run the resolution all the way down to QQVGA for best results.

To change the resolution on the fly, use dynamic_reconfigure like this:

$ rosrun dynamic_reconfigure reconfigure_gui

When the GUI pops up, select the openni_camera node from the pull-down list.  Then try setting the depth_mode to either QVGA_30Hz (5) or QQVGA_30Hz (8).  There'll be a few seconds pause, but then RViz should auto-update with the new resolution and work much faster.

To set a lower resolution by default, create your own openni_node.launch file something like the one below.  This version sets the defaults to QQVGA_30Hz.  If you want QVGA, use an image_mode and depth_mode of 5 instead:

<launch>
  <node pkg="openni_camera" type="openni_node" name="openni_camera" output="screen" respawn="true" >
     <!-- this line uses first enumerated device -->
    <param name="device_id" value="#1"/>
    <rosparam command="load" file="$(find openni_camera)/info/openni_params.yaml" />
    <param name="rgb_frame_id" value="/openni_rgb_optical_frame" />
    <param name="depth_frame_id" value="/openni_depth_optical_frame" />
    <param name="use_indices" value="false" />
    <param name="depth_registration" value="true" />
    <param name="image_mode" value="8" />
    <param name="depth_mode" value="8" />
    <param name="debayering" value="2" />
    <param name="depth_time_offset" value="0" />
    <param name="image_time_offset" value="0" />
  </node>
  <include file="$(find openni_camera)/launch/kinect_frames.launch"/>
</launch>

--patrick

http://www.pirobot.org

On 04/06/2011 01:11 AM, Jeh-Sang Cho wrote:
Hi, I successfully configured my kinect to work with ROS.
My problem is occurs when I use rivz.
I ran rviz using "rosrun rviz rivz"

My problem is that when I add Point Cloud2 to the display, the rviz becomes really slow and almost impossible to use.
The added Point Cloud2 shows depth display but it responses really slowly to the changes in environment in front of the kinect and at the end the rviz almost stops to run.

Is there a setting changes or any way to solve my problem?
I'm using Ubuntu 10.04.

Thanks.

-JC
_______________________________________________ Ros-kinect mailing list [hidden email] https://code.ros.org/mailman/listinfo/ros-kinect

Re: [Ros-kinect] rviz slowdown

rusu
Administrator
JC,

If you're only interested in point cloud visualization, please try the PCL Visualization tools[1]. They might be faster
and they do not require any special hardware. Check http://www.ros.org/wiki/openni_pcl for an example, or the new Kinect
grabber/viewer from PCL trunk (http://www.pointclouds.org/documentation/tutorials/kinect_grabber.php#kinect-grabber).

Cheers,
Radu.