[Ros-kinect] openni_node.launch missing

K Chen
Hi all,

I tried to use openNI driver in ROS for kinect to provide depth and RGB image info, but when using "roslaunch openni_camera openni_kinect.launch" to run openni_camera for kinect, I found out this launch file is missing. Only two other launch files are available: kinect_frames.launch,  openni_node.launch.

I tried each of it, using the former one seems not to connect kinect but only publish /tf messages; and using the latter one has an error message:

"ERROR: cannot launch node of type [openni_camera/openni_node]: Cannot locate node of type [openni_node] in package [openni_camera]"

I am using ROS diamondback release version in ubuntu 10.10, mainly binary installed, only used rosinstall to install and build ni stack.

I tried these according to this doc:
Thanks for any help.

--
Regards

University of Science and Technology of China
School of Computer Science and Technology

K.Chen

Re: [Ros-kinect] openni_node.launch missing

Ugo Cupcic
Hi,

The file to use is now openni_node.launch
> roslaunch openni_camera openni_node.launch

you need to build the package first:
rosmake openni_camera

The point cloud is now published in /camera/depth/points

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Ugo

PS: I updated my kinect stack to answer your question and had a bit of a fright when I couldn't find my openni_kinect.launch + the standard topic which was /camera/depth/points2 ;)

On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 11:24 AM, K Chen <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Ugo Cupcic | Shadow Robot Company | [hidden email]
Software Engineer | 251 Liverpool Road |
need a Hand? | London N1 1LX | +44 20 7700 2487
http://www.shadowrobot.com/hand/ @shadowrobot

Re: [Ros-kinect] openni_node.launch missing

K Chen
Thanks! It really helped!

BTW, when building openni_camera, I encountered an error saying cannot find "usb.h". So I used apt-get to install libusb-dev manually to solve this problem(I am using ubuntu 10.10). But then I realized that diamondback-kinect placed a dependency on libusb-1.0-0-dev(because in aptitude this package is mark as automatically installed and diamondback-kinect depends on it), not libusb-dev, that causes such error.

Don't know whether others have this problem, just put it here in case.

On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 8:20 PM, Ugo Cupcic <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

The file to use is now openni_node.launch
> roslaunch openni_camera openni_node.launch

you need to build the package first:
rosmake openni_camera

The point cloud is now published in /camera/depth/points

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Ugo

PS: I updated my kinect stack to answer your question and had a bit of a fright when I couldn't find my openni_kinect.launch + the standard topic which was /camera/depth/points2 ;)

On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 11:24 AM, K Chen <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

I tried to use openNI driver in ROS for kinect to provide depth and RGB image info, but when using "roslaunch openni_camera openni_kinect.launch" to run openni_camera for kinect, I found out this launch file is missing. Only two other launch files are available: kinect_frames.launch,  openni_node.launch.

I tried each of it, using the former one seems not to connect kinect but only publish /tf messages; and using the latter one has an error message:

"ERROR: cannot launch node of type [openni_camera/openni_node]: Cannot locate node of type [openni_node] in package [openni_camera]"

I am using ROS diamondback release version in ubuntu 10.10, mainly binary installed, only used rosinstall to install and build ni stack.

I tried these according to this doc:
Thanks for any help.

--
Regards

University of Science and Technology of China
School of Computer Science and Technology

K.Chen

Ugo Cupcic | Shadow Robot Company | [hidden email]
Software Engineer | 251 Liverpool Road |
need a Hand? | London N1 1LX | +44 20 7700 2487
http://www.shadowrobot.com/hand/ @shadowrobot

--
Regards

University of Science and Technology of China
School of Computer Science and Technology

K.Chen

Re: [Ros-kinect] openni_node.launch missing

rusu
Administrator

On 02/24/2011 05:49 AM, K Chen wrote:
> Thanks! It really helped!
>
> BTW, when building openni_camera, I encountered an error saying cannot find "usb.h". So I used apt-get to install
> libusb-dev manually to solve this problem(I am using ubuntu 10.10). But then I realized that diamondback-kinect placed a
> dependency on libusb-1.0-0-dev(because in aptitude this package is mark as automatically installed and
> diamondback-kinect depends on it), not libusb-dev, that causes such error.

Isn't diamondback-kinect a package  created from the kinect stack? That's different than NI.

In any case I just fixed a bug in trunk regarding the libusb dependency for NI! :) Thanks!

Cheers,
Radu.
--
http://pointclouds.org