[Ros-kinect] openni_camera with VMware

gausebeck
I have ROS unstable installed on Ubuntu 10.04 inside VMware Server.  The host machine is WinXP.  I've been trying to use this setup to read data from my Kinect, and things look pretty good except for the actual receiving of data.

When I run "roslaunch openni_camera openni_node.launch", it appears to find the Kinect, and I see the following messages:

[ INFO] [1299662358.982836188]: [/openni_node1] Number devices connected: 1
[ INFO] [1299662358.983090560]: [/openni_node1] 1. device on bus 001:04 is a Xbox NUI Camera (2ae) from Microsoft (45e) with serial id 'B00361223428048B'
[ INFO] [1299662358.986686951]: [/openni_node1] searching for device with index = 1
[ INFO] [1299662362.514219425]: [/openni_node1] Opened 'Xbox NUI Camera' on bus 1:4 with serial number 'B00361223428048B'

"rostopic list" then shows the appropriate topics (e.g. /camera/depth/image), but "rostopic hz /camera/depth/image" subscribes and then just sits there -- it doesn't show any data being produced.  The only topic that seems to be producing data is /tf, which is generating messages at about 40Hz.  The openni_camera logfile has no warnings or errors; I'm not sure what else to look for in there.

I've seen a few other reports of people failing to get OpenNI to work with VMware and no success stories, so I suspect that's the problem.  Has anyone gotten a setup like this to work?  Or is anyone familiar with the internals of OpenNI, who might be able to suggest some deeper diagnostics?

Re: [Ros-kinect] openni_camera with VMware

Brian Gerkey
hi David,

Your experience sounds similar to mine, in trying to get the Kinect
working on a modest ARM-based computer:
  https://code.ros.org/lurker/thread/20110309.181824.56aa62e7.en.html
Except that I can usually get a handful of messages from openni_node
before it stops working.  Have you gotten *any* messages (images or
point clouds) from it?

I'm presently trying the freenect-based driver, which so far isn't
working any better; will report back after a bit more hacking.

Btw, the /tf data you're getting is coming from dedicated tf
broadcasting nodes, which are separate from the openni_node.

        brian.

On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 1:25 PM, David Gausebeck <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have ROS unstable installed on Ubuntu 10.04 inside VMware Server.  The
> host machine is WinXP.  I've been trying to use this setup to read data from
> my Kinect, and things look pretty good except for the actual receiving of
> data.
>
> When I run "roslaunch openni_camera openni_node.launch", it appears to find
> the Kinect, and I see the following messages:
>
> [ INFO] [1299662358.982836188]: [/openni_node1] Number devices connected: 1
> [ INFO] [1299662358.983090560]: [/openni_node1] 1. device on bus 001:04 is a
> Xbox NUI Camera (2ae) from Microsoft (45e) with serial id 'B00361223428048B'
> [ INFO] [1299662358.986686951]: [/openni_node1] searching for device with
> index = 1
> [ INFO] [1299662362.514219425]: [/openni_node1] Opened 'Xbox NUI Camera' on
> bus 1:4 with serial number 'B00361223428048B'
>
> "rostopic list" then shows the appropriate topics (e.g.
> /camera/depth/image), but "rostopic hz /camera/depth/image" subscribes and
> then just sits there -- it doesn't show any data being produced.  The only
> topic that seems to be producing data is /tf, which is generating messages
> at about 40Hz.  The openni_camera logfile has no warnings or errors; I'm not
> sure what else to look for in there.
>
> I've seen a few other reports of people failing to get OpenNI to work with
> VMware and no success stories, so I suspect that's the problem.  Has anyone
> gotten a setup like this to work?  Or is anyone familiar with the internals
> of OpenNI, who might be able to suggest some deeper diagnostics?

Re: [Ros-kinect] openni_camera with VMware

gausebeck
Your experience sounds similar to mine, in trying to get the Kinect
working on a modest ARM-based computer:
 https://code.ros.org/lurker/thread/20110309.181824.56aa62e7.en.html
Except that I can usually get a handful of messages from openni_node
before it stops working.  Have you gotten *any* messages (images or
point clouds) from it?

No, it looks like no messages at all.  I started "rosbag record -a" and then launched openni_camera.  After running for a minute, the only message types recorded were dynamic_reconfigure/Config, dynamic_reconfigure/ConfigDescription, rosgraph_msgs/Log, and tf/tfMessage.

Re: [Ros-kinect] openni_camera with VMware

futureignobel
Hi David,

I've tried installing different (older) versions of openni_camera to solve my issue which sounds very similar to yours (http://answers.ros.org/question/326/openni_cameraopenni_nodelaunch-wont-start), but with no success. So maybe it's not openni_camera that's failing.

I'd also like to know how I can debug the issue a little deeper. In my case only the tf topic is working. Hope we can figure out what's wrong pretty fast.

Regards, Tom.

Your experience sounds similar to mine, in trying to get the Kinect
working on a modest ARM-based computer:
 https://code.ros.org/lurker/thread/20110309.181824.56aa62e7.en.html
Except that I can usually get a handful of messages from openni_node
before it stops working.  Have you gotten *any* messages (images or
point clouds) from it?

No, it looks like no messages at all.  I started "rosbag record -a" and then launched openni_camera.  After running for a minute, the only message types recorded were dynamic_reconfigure/Config, dynamic_reconfigure/ConfigDescription, rosgraph_msgs/Log, and tf/tfMessage.

Re: [Ros-kinect] openni_camera with VMware

jonotron
I have a similar problem, I have the openni_kinect and camera installed on Ubuntu 10.04 on VirtualBox on OSX, and no topic data appears to be emitted. Has anyone had any success?

-Jon