[Ros-kinect] kinect point cloud

Johannes Mohr
So far, I can get depth and rgb images from the kinect via adding two
"cameras" in RIS/ rviz. Status says OK. I can also visualize the point
clouds from the pre-recorded bag file at the wiki.  However, when I add
a point cloud to the actual kinect output (topic /kinect/points), rviz
exits with a segmentation fault as soon as I assign the topic.  Did
anybody encounter the same problem?
I did not not do any calibration so far, could that be the reason? If
so, how exactly do I use the calibration files already provided by others?

Cheers,
Johannes

Re: [Ros-kinect] kinect point cloud

Hordur Johannsson
I had the same problem with the old points cloud format. It works fine with the Point Cloud2 format.
The topic for that is /kinect/points2

I'm using cturtle on ubuntu 10.04

Hordur

On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 6:56 AM, Johannes Mohr <[hidden email]> wrote:
So far, I can get depth and rgb images from the kinect via adding two
"cameras" in RIS/ rviz. Status says OK. I can also visualize the point
clouds from the pre-recorded bag file at the wiki.  However, when I add
a point cloud to the actual kinect output (topic /kinect/points), rviz
exits with a segmentation fault as soon as I assign the topic.  Did
anybody encounter the same problem?
I did not not do any calibration so far, could that be the reason? If
so, how exactly do I use the calibration files already provided by others?

Cheers,
Johannes

Re: [Ros-kinect] kinect point cloud

rusu
Administrator
This is all fixed as of last Friday. You can get it from trunk or wait until a release will happen early next week.
Sorry for any inconveniences :)

Cheers,
Radu.

On 11/21/2010 05:44 AM, Hörður Jóhannsson wrote:

> I had the same problem with the old points cloud format. It works fine with the Point Cloud2 format.
> The topic for that is /kinect/points2
>
> I'm using cturtle on ubuntu 10.04
>
> Hordur
>
> On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 6:56 AM, Johannes Mohr <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     So far, I can get depth and rgb images from the kinect via adding two
>     "cameras" in RIS/ rviz. Status says OK. I can also visualize the point
>     clouds from the pre-recorded bag file at the wiki.  However, when I add
>     a point cloud to the actual kinect output (topic /kinect/points), rviz
>     exits with a segmentation fault as soon as I assign the topic.  Did
>     anybody encounter the same problem?
>     I did not not do any calibration so far, could that be the reason? If
>     so, how exactly do I use the calibration files already provided by others?
>
>     Cheers,
>     Johannes

Re: [Ros-kinect] kinect point cloud

Josh Faust

The faster solution is to fix the driver. It's outputting invalid clouds (1 channel with 0 values)

On Nov 21, 2010 9:15 AM, "Radu Bogdan Rusu" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> This is all fixed as of last Friday. You can get it from trunk or wait until a release will happen early next week.
> Sorry for any inconveniences :)
>
> Cheers,
> Radu.
>

> On 11/21/2010 05:44 AM, Hörður Jóhannsson wrote:
>> I had the same problem with the old points cloud format. It works fine with the Point Cloud2 format.
>> The topic for that is /kinect/points2
>>
>> I'm using cturtle on ubuntu 10.04
>>
>> Hordur
>>
>> On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 6:56 AM, Johannes Mohr <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>> So far, I can get depth and rgb images from the kinect via adding two
>> "cameras" in RIS/ rviz. Status says OK. I can also visualize the point
>> clouds from the pre-recorded bag file at the wiki. However, when I add
>> a point cloud to the actual kinect output (topic /kinect/points), rviz
>> exits with a segmentation fault as soon as I assign the topic. Did
>> anybody encounter the same problem?
>> I did not not do any calibration so far, could that be the reason? If
>> so, how exactly do I use the calibration files already provided by others?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Johannes

Re: [Ros-kinect] kinect point cloud

Hordur Johannsson
it worked, I added
  cloud_.channels[0].values.resize (width_*height_);

The rendering of PointCloud is much faster than PointCloud2 in rviz. I always had to throttle it otherwise rviz just froze (I have a Lenovo T61p Core Duo @ 2.40GHz). Now with PointCloud I can easily navigate around it. This is running cturtle.

Thanks,
Hordur

On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 2:17 PM, Josh Faust <[hidden email]> wrote:

The faster solution is to fix the driver. It's outputting invalid clouds (1 channel with 0 values)

On Nov 21, 2010 9:15 AM, "Radu Bogdan Rusu" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> This is all fixed as of last Friday. You can get it from trunk or wait until a release will happen early next week.
> Sorry for any inconveniences :)
>
> Cheers,
> Radu.
>

> On 11/21/2010 05:44 AM, Hörður Jóhannsson wrote:
>> I had the same problem with the old points cloud format. It works fine with the Point Cloud2 format.
>> The topic for that is /kinect/points2
>>
>> I'm using cturtle on ubuntu 10.04
>>
>> Hordur
>>
>> On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 6:56 AM, Johannes Mohr <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>> So far, I can get depth and rgb images from the kinect via adding two
>> "cameras" in RIS/ rviz. Status says OK. I can also visualize the point
>> clouds from the pre-recorded bag file at the wiki. However, when I add
>> a point cloud to the actual kinect output (topic /kinect/points), rviz
>> exits with a segmentation fault as soon as I assign the topic. Did
>> anybody encounter the same problem?
>> I did not not do any calibration so far, could that be the reason? If
>> so, how exactly do I use the calibration files already provided by others?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Johannes

Re: [Ros-kinect] kinect point cloud

rusu
Administrator
Thanks, I just pushed that in trunk.

Josh already fixed the PointCloud2 visualizer in the trunk of RViz, and we're scheduled for a release soon.

Cheers,
Radu.