[Ros-kinect] kinect calibration

Simon Sáfár
Hi,
I tried to use the kinect/kinect_calibration code to calibrate the device, but I've been out of luck so far...

I collected 6-6 IR and RGB images, then ran "calibrate". The chessboards were recognized correctly, the per-camera calibration parameters I got did also sound pretty reasonable, but there seems to be a problem with the kinect_params.yaml it produced, it is something like this:

shift_offset: -2014.0067
projector_depth_baseline: -0.32051
depth_rgb_rotation: [ 0.980433, 0.057096, -0.188392, -0.005096, 0.964054, 0.265656, 0.196788, -0.259498, 0.945482 ]
depth_rgb_translation: [ 0.042473, -0.080006, 0.000699 ]

so it tries to not just shift but also rotate the RGB and IR (depth) images in order to match them...

The output (*_rect_*) images generated by the tool are also either black or obviously out of their place. (It's also unclear whether it is needed to take IR and RGB picture pairs of a chesstable at the same position or N-N random images will also do, I tried both.)

Do you have any ideas what I'm doing wrong? Or is there any other way / tool to get the calibration parameters? (I know that OpenNI seems to get access to the factory calibration settings, but I'd also like to process not just the point cloud but the raw images myself... and there is that weird bug in the OpenNI driver anyway that makes the bottom of the image disappear sometimes, so I'm sticking to libfreenect for now.)

(I've read http://www.ros.org/wiki/kinect_calibration, but the link at the bottom of it seems to be broken... I'm using Diamondback on Ubuntu 10.10, by the way.)

Thanks!

Simon

[Ros-kinect] Which ni?

John Muccigrosso
What's up with the various ni packages in ros?

Today I ran rosinstall on my .rosinstall file and the ni line was updated (maybe to version original?), and I was able to run rosmake within that and have it all work. Haven't played with it yet, but I thought this package (ni) was now deprecated?

What's up?

John

Re: [Ros-kinect] Which ni?

Wim Meeussen
John,

The ni stack has moved to openni_kinect. You can find the wiki here
<http://www.ros.org/wiki/openni_kinect>.

You'll have to regenerate your .rosinstall file, or manually remove
the old ni entry.

Wim

On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 8:22 PM, John Muccigrosso
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> What's up with the various ni packages in ros?
>
> Today I ran rosinstall on my .rosinstall file and the ni line was updated (maybe to version original?), and I was able to run rosmake within that and have it all work. Haven't played with it yet, but I thought this package (ni) was now deprecated?
>
> What's up?
>

> John

Wim Meeussen
Willow Garage Inc.
<http://www.willowgarage.com)

Re: [Ros-kinect] Which ni?

John Muccigrosso
On 7 Apr 2011, at 23:53 , Wim Meeussen wrote:

> John,
>
> The ni stack has moved to openni_kinect. You can find the wiki here
> <http://www.ros.org/wiki/openni_kinect>.
>
> You'll have to regenerate your .rosinstall file, or manually remove
> the old ni entry.
>
> Wim
>

> On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 8:22 PM, John Muccigrosso
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> What's up with the various ni packages in ros?
>>
>> Today I ran rosinstall on my .rosinstall file and the ni line was updated (maybe to version original?), and I was able to run rosmake within that and have it all work. Haven't played with it yet, but I thought this package (ni) was now deprecated?
>>
>> What's up?

I've got the openni_kinect line in my .rosinstall, and I've seen the deprecation notice at ni, but it was the updating of the old ni today that perplexed me. Why did that happen?

(PS On OS X, so no joy using openni_kinect yet.)

John