[Ros-kinect] kinect audio

Oier Mees
Hello,
I just wanted to ask if it is possible to get audio from the kinect using openni or some other alternative? Is there any experimental branch that can be tested? what is the current status?
Regards,
Oier

Re: [Ros-kinect] kinect audio

Joe Romano
Hi Oier,

I looked into the same thing a few weeks ago.
It appears to me that while the openni project has support for "audio", it has not been figured out with interfacing to the Kinect.
Audio for the Kinect in general still seems like a poorly understood topic:

We've gotten a considerable amount of experience with good Ubuntu compatible microphones and some ROS packages we've written to use them, if you are interested in alternatives.

-Joe

On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 4:45 AM, Oier Mees <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,
I just wanted to ask if it is possible to get audio from the kinect using openni or some other alternative? Is there any experimental branch that can be tested? what is the current status?
Regards,
Oier

Re: [Ros-kinect] kinect audio

Brian Gerkey
On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 1:45 AM, Oier Mees <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I just wanted to ask if it is possible to get audio from the kinect using
> openni or some other alternative? Is there any experimental branch that can
> be tested? what is the current status?

The unstable branch of libfreenect has preliminary audio support.  I
don't have direct experience with it, but I've seen a demo of
recording simultaneous audio from all 4 mics.

git clone git://github.com/OpenKinect/libfreenect
cd libfreenect
git checkout unstable
mkdir build
cd build
cmake -DBUILD_AUDIO=YES ..
make
./bin/wavrecord

        brian.

Re: [Ros-kinect] kinect audio

Oier Mees
thanks Brian, the audio of the unstable libfreenect branch works for me. The next step is to get the audio published in ROS. The deprecated kinect stack which uses libfreenect, doesn't have this audio support. How hard would it be to integrate it? BTW, why does the ROS wiki say [0] that openni has "full audio support"?
Cheers,
Oier

[0] http://www.ros.org/wiki/kinect