[Ros-kinect] c-turtle or unstable?

Patrick Bouffard-2
What is the recommended ROS distribution--C-Turtle or Unstable--to use
with the kinect driver? My first attempt at compiling it on a C-Turtle
SVN setup failed, and then I noticed that Unstable is referred to in
the README file so I did an SVN install of that, and was successful
(this is all on an Ubuntu 10.10, 64-bit system). However I also notice
that the wiki page says to install ros-cturtle-base, so perhaps I
should have tried harder on my C-Turtle setup. At any rate, I'm going
to try and get it going aboard our robot, which currently has a
deb-based C-Turtle install (Ubuntu 10.04, 32-bit). I'm wondering if I
should stick with that or would I be better off installing Unstable.

Thanks,
Pat

Re: [Ros-kinect] c-turtle or unstable?

Jeremy Leibs
On Sat, Nov 20, 2010 at 1:18 PM, Patrick Bouffard
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> What is the recommended ROS distribution--C-Turtle or Unstable--to use
> with the kinect driver? My first attempt at compiling it on a C-Turtle
> SVN setup failed, and then I noticed that Unstable is referred to in
> the README file so I did an SVN install of that, and was successful
> (this is all on an Ubuntu 10.10, 64-bit system). However I also notice
> that the wiki page says to install ros-cturtle-base, so perhaps I
> should have tried harder on my C-Turtle setup. At any rate, I'm going
> to try and get it going aboard our robot, which currently has a
> deb-based C-Turtle install (Ubuntu 10.04, 32-bit). I'm wondering if I
> should stick with that or would I be better off installing Unstable.

I am not yet familiar with the kinect code-base, so I don't know what
the actual requirements are.  However, I would strongly, strongly,
strongly recommend doing everything in our power to make kinect only
depend on cturtle.  This kinect driver is a fantastic opportunity to
introduce a huge number of new users to the ROS framework, and we want
that to be as positive of an experience as possible.  Unstable is just
that -- unstable.  It breaks frequently and is largely undocumented.
That is not the experience we want new users to have.

--Jeremy

Re: [Ros-kinect] c-turtle or unstable?

Ken Conley
You can use the kinect driver with cturtle.  However, libraries like
pcl, which you may want to use with the Kinect, are currently being
developed on unstable.

Many of the useful stacks in unstable for the kinect are close to
being frozen for Diamondback, though the rapid development of the
kinect driver is spurring rapid development there as well (e.g. Axis
point cloud color transformer in rviz).

 - Ken

On Sat, Nov 20, 2010 at 1:25 PM, Jeremy Leibs <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 20, 2010 at 1:18 PM, Patrick Bouffard
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> What is the recommended ROS distribution--C-Turtle or Unstable--to use
>> with the kinect driver? My first attempt at compiling it on a C-Turtle
>> SVN setup failed, and then I noticed that Unstable is referred to in
>> the README file so I did an SVN install of that, and was successful
>> (this is all on an Ubuntu 10.10, 64-bit system). However I also notice
>> that the wiki page says to install ros-cturtle-base, so perhaps I
>> should have tried harder on my C-Turtle setup. At any rate, I'm going
>> to try and get it going aboard our robot, which currently has a
>> deb-based C-Turtle install (Ubuntu 10.04, 32-bit). I'm wondering if I
>> should stick with that or would I be better off installing Unstable.
>>

> I am not yet familiar with the kinect code-base, so I don't know what
> the actual requirements are.  However, I would strongly, strongly,
> strongly recommend doing everything in our power to make kinect only
> depend on cturtle.  This kinect driver is a fantastic opportunity to
> introduce a huge number of new users to the ROS framework, and we want
> that to be as positive of an experience as possible.  Unstable is just
> that -- unstable.  It breaks frequently and is largely undocumented.
> That is not the experience we want new users to have.
>
> --Jeremy

Re: [Ros-kinect] c-turtle or unstable?

Patrick Bouffard-2
Thanks, I gave it a shot and it's working (on C-Turtle). It's possible
that the earlier problems I was having were related to the git
submodule stuff that seems to be resolved now.

Pat

On Sat, Nov 20, 2010 at 1:37 PM, Ken Conley <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You can use the kinect driver with cturtle.  However, libraries like
> pcl, which you may want to use with the Kinect, are currently being
> developed on unstable.
>
> Many of the useful stacks in unstable for the kinect are close to
> being frozen for Diamondback, though the rapid development of the
> kinect driver is spurring rapid development there as well (e.g. Axis
> point cloud color transformer in rviz).
>
>  - Ken
>
> On Sat, Nov 20, 2010 at 1:25 PM, Jeremy Leibs <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Sat, Nov 20, 2010 at 1:18 PM, Patrick Bouffard
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> What is the recommended ROS distribution--C-Turtle or Unstable--to use
>>> with the kinect driver? My first attempt at compiling it on a C-Turtle
>>> SVN setup failed, and then I noticed that Unstable is referred to in
>>> the README file so I did an SVN install of that, and was successful
>>> (this is all on an Ubuntu 10.10, 64-bit system). However I also notice
>>> that the wiki page says to install ros-cturtle-base, so perhaps I
>>> should have tried harder on my C-Turtle setup. At any rate, I'm going
>>> to try and get it going aboard our robot, which currently has a
>>> deb-based C-Turtle install (Ubuntu 10.04, 32-bit). I'm wondering if I
>>> should stick with that or would I be better off installing Unstable.
>>>

>> I am not yet familiar with the kinect code-base, so I don't know what
>> the actual requirements are.  However, I would strongly, strongly,
>> strongly recommend doing everything in our power to make kinect only
>> depend on cturtle.  This kinect driver is a fantastic opportunity to
>> introduce a huge number of new users to the ROS framework, and we want
>> that to be as positive of an experience as possible.  Unstable is just
>> that -- unstable.  It breaks frequently and is largely undocumented.
>> That is not the experience we want new users to have.
>>
>> --Jeremy

Re: [Ros-kinect] c-turtle or unstable?

rusu
Administrator
Pat,

Glad to hear things are working out. The plan is to keep the base driver independent of any features in unstable, at
least until Diamondback is out. If we break anything, it's not on purpose and we'll hopefully fix it fast :)

Cheers,
Radu.