[Ros-kinect] Publishing code (stripped libfreenect)

[Ros-kinect] Publishing code (stripped libfreenect)

Nathaniel Lewis
I've stripped down libfreenect to only do control of the led, tilt
motor, and reading the imu in the kinect so that they can be used in
conjunction with the openni_camera package.  I just don't know how to go
about publishing it or where to publish it too.
  Nathaniel

Re: [Ros-kinect] Publishing code (stripped libfreenect)

Tully Foote
Hi Nathaniel,

That's great to hear.  For now probably the easiest place to publish it
in would be a fork of libfreenect on github for now.  If it's posted
publicly there anyone can get to it, and it's still using the existing
work flow.  We'll then need to integrate it into a ros package in the ni
stack.

The other option would be for you to make a fork of the ni stack on
github and integrate it as a ros package there.  Once it's working we
can pull the fork back into mainline.

Right now the ni stack is getting pretty large and unwieldy and we're
planning to restructure it to clean up dependency issues.  Also the
stack currently cannot be built into debs.  Hopefully the other thread
running at the moment wrt to CMake based builds supporting OSX will
enable that.

Tully

On 12/27/2010 09:21 PM, Nathaniel Robert Lewis wrote:

> I've stripped down libfreenect to only do control of the led, tilt
> motor, and reading the imu in the kinect so that they can be used in
> conjunction with the openni_camera package.  I just don't know how to go
> about publishing it or where to publish it too.
>     Nathaniel

Re: [Ros-kinect] Publishing code (stripped libfreenect)

Tully Foote
Hi Nathaniel,

Did you ever get a chance to post this somewhere?

Tully

On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 11:36 AM, Tully Foote <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Systems Engineer
Willow Garage, Inc.
[hidden email]
(650) 475-2827

Re: [Ros-kinect] Publishing code (stripped libfreenect)

Nathaniel Lewis
I just posted it to github at https://github.com/Teknoman117/ni.  I then
sent a pull request, which I think is what you meant.  But either way,
it is there for people to use now.
                                                Nathaniel

On Mon, 2011-01-10 at 10:20 -0800, Tully Foote wrote:

> Hi Nathaniel,
>
> Did you ever get a chance to post this somewhere?
>
> Tully
>
> On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 11:36 AM, Tully Foote
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>         Hi Nathaniel,
>
>         That's great to hear.  For now probably the easiest place to
>         publish it in would be a fork of libfreenect on github for
>         now.  If it's posted publicly there anyone can get to it, and
>         it's still using the existing work flow.  We'll then need to
>         integrate it into a ros package in the ni stack.
>
>         The other option would be for you to make a fork of the ni
>         stack on github and integrate it as a ros package there.  Once
>         it's working we can pull the fork back into mainline.
>
>         Right now the ni stack is getting pretty large and unwieldy
>         and we're planning to restructure it to clean up dependency
>         issues.  Also the stack currently cannot be built into debs.
>          Hopefully the other thread running at the moment wrt to CMake
>         based builds supporting OSX will enable that.
>
>         Tully
>

>         On 12/27/2010 09:21 PM, Nathaniel Robert Lewis wrote:
>                 I've stripped down libfreenect to only do control of
>                 the led, tilt
>                 motor, and reading the imu in the kinect so that they
>                 can be used in
>                 conjunction with the openni_camera package.  I just
>                 don't know how to go
>                 about publishing it or where to publish it too.
>                                                        Nathaniel

> Tully Foote
> Systems Engineer
> Willow Garage, Inc.
> [hidden email]
> (650) 475-2827

Re: [Ros-kinect] Publishing code (stripped libfreenect)

Tully Foote
Great thanks,
That's exactly what I was hoping. It's now easy for others to grab it all and we can merge it in soon too.

Tully

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 5:37 PM, Nathaniel Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:
I just posted it to github at https://github.com/Teknoman117/ni.  I then
sent a pull request, which I think is what you meant.  But either way,
it is there for people to use now.
                                               Nathaniel

On Mon, 2011-01-10 at 10:20 -0800, Tully Foote wrote:
> Hi Nathaniel,
>
> Did you ever get a chance to post this somewhere?
>
> Tully
>
> On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 11:36 AM, Tully Foote
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>         Hi Nathaniel,
>
>         That's great to hear.  For now probably the easiest place to
>         publish it in would be a fork of libfreenect on github for
>         now.  If it's posted publicly there anyone can get to it, and
>         it's still using the existing work flow.  We'll then need to
>         integrate it into a ros package in the ni stack.
>
>         The other option would be for you to make a fork of the ni
>         stack on github and integrate it as a ros package there.  Once
>         it's working we can pull the fork back into mainline.
>
>         Right now the ni stack is getting pretty large and unwieldy
>         and we're planning to restructure it to clean up dependency
>         issues.  Also the stack currently cannot be built into debs.
>          Hopefully the other thread running at the moment wrt to CMake
>         based builds supporting OSX will enable that.
>
>         Tully
>

>         On 12/27/2010 09:21 PM, Nathaniel Robert Lewis wrote:
>                 I've stripped down libfreenect to only do control of
>                 the led, tilt
>                 motor, and reading the imu in the kinect so that they
>                 can be used in
>                 conjunction with the openni_camera package.  I just
>                 don't know how to go
>                 about publishing it or where to publish it too.
>                                                        Nathaniel

> Tully Foote
> Systems Engineer
> Willow Garage, Inc.
> [hidden email]
> (650) 475-2827

Tully Foote
Systems Engineer
Willow Garage, Inc.
[hidden email]
(650) 475-2827

Re: [Ros-kinect] Publishing code (stripped libfreenect)

Gonçalo Cabrita
Hi guys,

I was just looking for a way to control the Kinect motor into the existing openni_camera and I found this thread.

Has anyone integrated Nathaniel's work into a working ROS Kinect driver? Or is there any other solution for the same goal?

Best regards,

Gonçalo Cabrita

On Jan 11, 2011, at 2:33 AM, Tully Foote wrote:

Great thanks,
That's exactly what I was hoping. It's now easy for others to grab it all and we can merge it in soon too.

Tully

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 5:37 PM, Nathaniel Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:
I just posted it to github at https://github.com/Teknoman117/ni.  I then
sent a pull request, which I think is what you meant.  But either way,
it is there for people to use now.
                                               Nathaniel

On Mon, 2011-01-10 at 10:20 -0800, Tully Foote wrote:
> Hi Nathaniel,
>
> Did you ever get a chance to post this somewhere?
>
> Tully
>
> On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 11:36 AM, Tully Foote
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>         Hi Nathaniel,
>
>         That's great to hear.  For now probably the easiest place to
>         publish it in would be a fork of libfreenect on github for
>         now.  If it's posted publicly there anyone can get to it, and
>         it's still using the existing work flow.  We'll then need to
>         integrate it into a ros package in the ni stack.
>
>         The other option would be for you to make a fork of the ni
>         stack on github and integrate it as a ros package there.  Once
>         it's working we can pull the fork back into mainline.
>
>         Right now the ni stack is getting pretty large and unwieldy
>         and we're planning to restructure it to clean up dependency
>         issues.  Also the stack currently cannot be built into debs.
>          Hopefully the other thread running at the moment wrt to CMake
>         based builds supporting OSX will enable that.
>
>         Tully
>

>         On 12/27/2010 09:21 PM, Nathaniel Robert Lewis wrote:
>                 I've stripped down libfreenect to only do control of
>                 the led, tilt
>                 motor, and reading the imu in the kinect so that they
>                 can be used in
>                 conjunction with the openni_camera package.  I just
>                 don't know how to go
>                 about publishing it or where to publish it too.
>                                                        Nathaniel

> Tully Foote
> Systems Engineer
> Willow Garage, Inc.
> [hidden email]
> (650) 475-2827

Tully Foote
Systems Engineer
Willow Garage, Inc.
[hidden email]
(650) 475-2827

Re: [Ros-kinect] Publishing code (stripped libfreenect)

Mac Mason
On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 12:03 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I was just looking for a way to control the Kinect motor into the
> existing openni_camera and I found this thread.

You want the kinect_aux stack.

http://www.ros.org/wiki/kinect_aux

It splits out the parts of the Kinect that openni doesn't handle.

    --M

--
Julian "Mac" Mason      [hidden email]      www.cs.duke.edu/~mac