[Ros-kinect] Problem building NITE: 500 error on openni.org site

[Ros-kinect] Problem building NITE: 500 error on openni.org site

Alaina Hardie
Hi folks,

I'm not completely sure where to ask this, but since it was answered on this list before I hope it is a good place to start.

I am having a problem building NITE. A quick Google search turns up this: (https://code.ros.org/lurker/message/20110224.075451.1084b0b6.en.html, which reports it "fixed in trunk" from earlier this year. It's similar to the problem I'm having.

I get this error message in the rosmake build process:

ERROR: md5sum mismatch (22892abcaa57b82acc1947243846a427 != 4dd10a88dd924410949cf65246e8e6cd) on build/NITE-Bin-Ubuntu.tar.bz2; aborting

When I looked in the nite/build directory, I  saw the NITE-Bin-Ubuntu.tar.bz file. It seemed impossibly small, so I opened it in vi and discovered that it was HTML from the failed wget of the source file (in this case, a 500 error from http://www.openni.org/downloadfiles/openni-compliant-middleware-binaries/stable/54-primesense-nite-beta-build-for-for-ubuntu-10-10-x86-32-bit-v1-3-0/download).

I tried replacing the TARBALL_URL in nite/Makefile with a new version of the package (which is 1.3.1 now), but I still get the 500 error. I can download the file manually and copy it into the build directory, plus run the md5sum, but for some reason if I run rosmake to finish it the process keeps trying to re-wget the file, and it gets overwritten with the HTML response from the 500 error. Aaaand we're back in a loop. I am able to download the file manually if I click on the appropriate openni.org link in Chrome; a manual wget fails with the same 500 error.

The fundamental problem seems to be that 500 error on the openni.org site, which could be caused by any number of things on their end (or things they're expecting to see from me but don't, like a referer for example).

In the long term it might be a good idea to check the return code from wget, which I think will let you know the server reported some kind of error.

In the short term, is there something I'm doing wrong or something that needs to be fixed in the current build?

And if it's not something I have to fix on my end but something that needs to be fixed in the build, I'd love a way around the process so I can build NITE manually and get on with my Kinect wrangling. Is there a way I can use a NITE that I build myself instead of the one it is hoping to get from the ni package?

Thanks in advance for any advice/wisdom/speculation/loving mockery.

- A

Re: [Ros-kinect] Problem building NITE: 500 error on openni.org site

Alaina Hardie
As a follow-up to this, I did the following to make it work for myself:

1. Downloaded a copy of the file from http://www.openni.org/downloadfiles/openni-compliant-middleware-binaries/34-stable  (which gives me 1.3.1.13)
2. Copy that file to nite/build/NITE-Bin-Ubuntu.tar.bz2
3. Run md5sum against that file
4. Copy the original source file (NITE-Bin-Linux32-v1.3.1.13.tar.bz2) to my public_html directory.
5. Made the following changes to the Makefile to point to my local tarball, give updated version numbers in the directories/sum files, and a removal of the unpacked/ directory:

SOURCE_DIR  = build/Nite-1.3.1.13
MD5SUM_FILE = NITE-Bin-Ubuntu-$(ARCH_DIR)-1.3.1.13.tar.bz2.md5sum
$(INSTALL_DIR)/installed: $(SOURCE_DIR)

Then I re-ran rosmake ni --rosdep-install and the build went through fine.

So it looks like a simple problem that can be fixed by finding the right TARBALL_URL in the first place, since the current one isn't working.

- A

On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 10:38 PM, Alaina Hardie <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi folks,

[snip]