[Ros-kinect] [PCL-users] Visual odometry with Kinect or cheap stereo camera

[Ros-kinect] [PCL-users] Visual odometry with Kinect or cheap stereo camera

futureignobel
Hi,

could you please advise me on what's the simplest way of obtaining 3D
visual odometry using a set of UVC cameras or a Kinect sensor?

I've tried using vslam_system, but the package seems not to work
properly, as people (including me) are having problems obtaining visual
odometry using it (see here:
http://answers.ros.org/question/112/vslam-tutorial or here:
http://answers.ros.org/question/864/vslam_system-not-publishing-visual-odometry).

Are there any ros-enabled libraries providing this kind of information?
I'd like to obtain a pose_stamped from robot_pose_ekf with IMU data and
a visual odometry source.

Thanks for any help.

Regards,
Tom

Re: [Ros-kinect] [PCL-users] Visual odometry with Kinect or cheap stereo camera

futureignobel
Thanks Gonçalo, but ScaViSLAM is not yet released. It sure would be a very good choice if it already was.

Regards,
Tom

W dniu 09.05.2011 17:11, Gonçalo Cabrita pisze:
I have never tried this but I'd take a look at

In the video it says it works with the kinect. I guess the kinect would be a cheaper solution!

Hope this helps,

Gonçalo Cabrita
ISR University of Coimbra
Portugal

On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 3:46 PM, futureignobel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

could you please advise me on what's the simplest way of obtaining 3D
visual odometry using a set of UVC cameras or a Kinect sensor?

I've tried using vslam_system, but the package seems not to work
properly, as people (including me) are having problems obtaining visual
odometry using it (see here:
http://answers.ros.org/question/112/vslam-tutorial or here:
http://answers.ros.org/question/864/vslam_system-not-publishing-visual-odometry).

Are there any ros-enabled libraries providing this kind of information?
I'd like to obtain a pose_stamped from robot_pose_ekf with IMU data and
a visual odometry source.

Thanks for any help.

Regards,
Tom

Re: [Ros-kinect] [PCL-users] Visual odometry with Kinect or cheap stereo camera

rusu
Administrator

On 05/09/2011 09:11 AM, futureignobel wrote:
> Thanks Gonçalo, but ScaViSLAM is not yet released. It sure would be a very good choice if it already was.

I believe it already exists as a package in ROS. I know for a fact that my colleagues were working on it. Whether it's
"released" (tagged in SVN or not) that's a different story.

As with all VSLAM systems, don't expect good performance when your lighting conditions variate or the texture in your
scene is poor ;)

Cheers,
Radu.
--
Point Cloud Library (PCL) - http://pointclouds.org

Re: [Ros-kinect] [PCL-users] Visual odometry with Kinect or cheap stereo camera

Nicola Fioraio
I cannot help you about vslam, but I can add some useful links:)

http://www.ros.org/wiki/openni/Contests/ROS%203D/RGBD-6D-SLAM
http://www.ros.org/wiki/turtlebot_navigation/Tutorials/Build%20a%20map%20with%20SLAM
http://www.ros.org/wiki/slam_gmapping

Moreover, if you want use the kinect in vslam apps,  I know that a new stack is
under development to combine info from several sources, including RGB-D cameras, but
I don't know when it will be released... :(

cheers,
Nicola

On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 9:33 AM, Radu Bogdan Rusu <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 05/09/2011 09:11 AM, futureignobel wrote:
> Thanks Gonçalo, but ScaViSLAM is not yet released. It sure would be a very good choice if it already was.

I believe it already exists as a package in ROS. I know for a fact that my colleagues were working on it. Whether it's
"released" (tagged in SVN or not) that's a different story.

As with all VSLAM systems, don't expect good performance when your lighting conditions variate or the texture in your
scene is poor ;)

Cheers,
Radu.
--
Point Cloud Library (PCL) - http://pointclouds.org

Re: [Ros-kinect] [PCL-users] Visual odometry with Kinect or cheap stereo camera

rusu
Administrator
Just to add to what Nicola said, we will have a project in PCL for improving our point cloud registration at the level
of usable SLAM this summer too. This should have already happened earlier this year, but we decided to stop adding new
features and concentrate on improving and stabilizing the PCL API first. Once 1.0 is officially out, we will resume work
on registration.

The main difference is that our work will focus on higher level representations, by combining existing 3D work, and
leveraging 2D when needed, versus more classical "2D with depth" approaches. Now with the OpenCVers on our side
(http://www.pointclouds.org/news/opencv-pcl.html), sky's the limit! :) Expect a full-blown GPGPU acceleration for
real-time performance with OpenNI compatible cameras.

Cheers,
Radu.
--

On 05/09/2011 10:46 AM, Nicola Fioraio wrote:

> I cannot help you about vslam, but I can add some useful links:)
>
> http://www.ros.org/wiki/openni/Contests/ROS%203D/RGBD-6D-SLAM
> http://www.ros.org/wiki/turtlebot_navigation/Tutorials/Build%20a%20map%20with%20SLAM
> http://www.ros.org/wiki/slam_gmapping
>
> Moreover, if you want use the kinect in vslam apps,  I know that a new stack is
> under development to combine info from several sources, including RGB-D cameras, but
> I don't know when it will be released... :(
>
> cheers,
> Nicola
>
> On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 9:33 AM, Radu Bogdan Rusu <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>

>     On 05/09/2011 09:11 AM, futureignobel wrote:
>      > Thanks Gonçalo, but ScaViSLAM is not yet released. It sure would be a very good choice if it already was.
>
>     I believe it already exists as a package in ROS. I know for a fact that my colleagues were working on it. Whether it's
>     "released" (tagged in SVN or not) that's a different story.
>
>     As with all VSLAM systems, don't expect good performance when your lighting conditions variate or the texture in your
>     scene is poor ;)
>
>     Cheers,
>     Radu.
>     --
>     Point Cloud Library (PCL) - http://pointclouds.org

Re: [Ros-kinect] [PCL-users] Visual odometry with Kinect or cheap stereo camera

futureignobel
Thank you Nicola and Radu.

Also: has anyone here already tested libviso2
(http://www.rainsoft.de/software/libviso2.html) or tried to use it with
ROS? Their code is capable but not well documented and there is no C++
example of how to use it, so I'd be grateful if someone had one he/she
could share.

Regards,
Tom

> Just to add to what Nicola said, we will have a project in PCL for improving our point cloud registration at the level
> of usable SLAM this summer too. This should have already happened earlier this year, but we decided to stop adding new
> features and concentrate on improving and stabilizing the PCL API first. Once 1.0 is officially out, we will resume work
> on registration.
>
> The main difference is that our work will focus on higher level representations, by combining existing 3D work, and
> leveraging 2D when needed, versus more classical "2D with depth" approaches. Now with the OpenCVers on our side
> (http://www.pointclouds.org/news/opencv-pcl.html), sky's the limit! :) Expect a full-blown GPGPU acceleration for
> real-time performance with OpenNI compatible cameras.
>
> Cheers,
> Radu.
> --
> Point Cloud Library (PCL) - http://pointclouds.org
>
> On 05/09/2011 10:46 AM, Nicola Fioraio wrote:
>> I cannot help you about vslam, but I can add some useful links:)
>>
>> http://www.ros.org/wiki/openni/Contests/ROS%203D/RGBD-6D-SLAM
>> http://www.ros.org/wiki/turtlebot_navigation/Tutorials/Build%20a%20map%20with%20SLAM
>> http://www.ros.org/wiki/slam_gmapping
>>
>> Moreover, if you want use the kinect in vslam apps,  I know that a new stack is
>> under development to combine info from several sources, including RGB-D cameras, but
>> I don't know when it will be released... :(
>>
>> cheers,
>> Nicola
>>
>> On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 9:33 AM, Radu Bogdan Rusu<[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>>  wrote:
>>

>>      On 05/09/2011 09:11 AM, futureignobel wrote:
>>       >  Thanks Gonçalo, but ScaViSLAM is not yet released. It sure would be a very good choice if it already was.
>>
>>      I believe it already exists as a package in ROS. I know for a fact that my colleagues were working on it. Whether it's
>>      "released" (tagged in SVN or not) that's a different story.
>>
>>      As with all VSLAM systems, don't expect good performance when your lighting conditions variate or the texture in your
>>      scene is poor ;)
>>
>>      Cheers,
>>      Radu.
>>      --
>>      Point Cloud Library (PCL) - http://pointclouds.org

Re: [Ros-kinect] [PCL-users] Visual odometry with Kinect or cheap stereo camera

Kevin Walchko
Tom,

Did you ever figure out or get a start on the libviso2 code?
Thanks.

Kevin