[Ros-kinect] Multiple kinect PCL visualization

[Ros-kinect] Multiple kinect PCL visualization

Stefano Michieletto
Hi,

I'm trying to visualise pointclouds from two kinect simultaneously.
I'm using the following structure:
  - nodelet manager
  - kinect1 ->  openni_camera nodelet
  - kinect2 ->  openni_camera nodelet
  - my nodelet to re-advertise the flow of kinect2 roto-translated

Now, my problem is the frame rate: if I launch only one openni_camera
nodelet, the frame rate is about 15fps. If I launch my structure, and
visualise (ie with rviz) the two pointclouds, the frame rate is about
3-5fps with a substantial delay.

Is it possible that the publishing of the two pointclouds conflicts,
despite remapping on different topics for the two openni_camera nodelets?
If so, what can I do to solve my problem?

Kind regards

Re: [Ros-kinect] Multiple kinect PCL visualization

Dejan Pangercic
Stefano,

are the nodelet and rviz running on the same machine? If not then the
network is almost certainly causing the issues with the delay and
frame rate.
I can check on Tuesday what are we getting for the same setup on my lab.
>  - my nodelet to re-advertise the flow of kinect2 roto-translated
What exactly is this?

cheers, D.

Re: [Ros-kinect] [PCL-users] Multiple kinect PCL visualization

Stefano Michieletto
Hi Dejan,
thank you for your reply!
> are the nodelet and rviz running on the same machine? If not then the
yes, the nodelets and rviz are running on the same machine!
>>   - my nodelet to re-advertise the flow of kinect2 roto-translated
> What exactly is this?
I want to register the flows coming from the two kinects, so I need to
roto-translate one kinect pointcloud respect to the other, in order to
be in the same reference system.
I use the method pcl::getTransformedPointCloud in a nodelet callback to
roto-translate the pointcloud.
My nodelet subscribes the kinect/rgb/points topic and publishes in
another topic the modified pointcloud.

Cheers,
Stefano

Stefano Michieletto

PhD Student
Intelligent and Autonomous Systems Lab (IAS-Lab)
Department of Information Engineering (DEI)
Faculty of Engineering, The University of Padua
Via Ognissanti 72, I-35129 Padova, Italy

email: [hidden email]
phone: +390498277833

Re: [Ros-kinect] [PCL-users] Multiple kinect PCL visualization

amark
Hi Stefano,

I'm trying to do the exact same thing.

Did you mange to get i working?