[Ros-kinect] Kinect calibration: Cannot save IR images

[Ros-kinect] Kinect calibration: Cannot save IR images

ahelou

Please excuse me if you received this twice.

Re: [Ros-kinect] Kinect calibration: Cannot save IR images

Dejan Pangercic
Hi Akram,
which driver are you using?
ROS's openni_camera driver was as of yesterday not able to stream IR
images yet...
D.

On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 11:54 PM, Akram Helou <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Please excuse me if you received this twice.

MSc. Dejan Pangercic
PhD Student/Researcher
Intelligent Autonomous Systems Group
Technische Universität München
Telephone: +49 (89) 289-26908
E-Mail: [hidden email]
WWW: http://ias.cs.tum.edu/people/pangercic

Re: [Ros-kinect] Kinect calibration: Cannot save IR images

Peter Brook

Hey Akram,

I am on my phone and can't check this out, but are you sure the image is entirely black? During my calibration of our camera, I initially had the exact same thought. However, when I opened the image in the gimp and cranked up the contrast, I saw color differences between different "black" regions of the image which correctly corresponded to different depths in the real scene. Just a thought.

Regarding the tutorial, what parts aren't clear? It was also my first time calibrating a camera and I would be glad to help you out.

Peter

On Dec 22, 2010 2:54 PM, "Akram Helou" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Please excuse me if you received this twice.

Kurt Konolige
Yes, the depth image is 16-bit, with the max value at about 9 bits, so
you won't see anything unless you use the color modifier in gimp to
bring up the low values.  OpenCV checkerboard finder works, though.

Cheers --Kurt

On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 4:09 PM, Peter Brook <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey Akram,
>
> I am on my phone and can't check this out, but are you sure the image is
> entirely black? During my calibration of our camera, I initially had the
> exact same thought. However, when I opened the image in the gimp and cranked
> up the contrast, I saw color differences between different "black" regions
> of the image which correctly corresponded to different depths in the real
> scene. Just a thought.
>
> Regarding the tutorial, what parts aren't clear? It was also my first time
> calibrating a camera and I would be glad to help you out.
>
> Peter
>
> On Dec 22, 2010 2:54 PM, "Akram Helou" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Please excuse me if you received this twice.

Hi Dejan,

Apologies for late reply.
I am using the ni driver installed on the 22nd of December. As far as I can tell, it was streaming IR.
Right now, in calibration mode, I cannot save IR data. However, when I try to save RGB data I get
"ERROR: failed to write image data_dir/img_depth_00.png"

Finally, and this may be unrelated, when I visualize in Rviz using the settings specified in section 1.4 here http://www.ros.org/wiki/kinect/Tutorials/Getting%20Started, I do not get image displayed at the end of the tutorial here http://www.ros.org/wiki/kinect/Tutorials/Getting%20Started.
--> Is something wrong with my any of my installations?

Thanks

Re: [Ros-kinect] Kinect calibration: Cannot save IR images

farzadhusain
Hi Akram,

I am also having the exact same problem when calibrating Kinect. If you find a way to fix it then please tell me.

Thanks,
Farzad