[Ros-kinect] Is this maillist orphaned?

K Chen
Hi all,

I have not seen much progress in the last year, and the OpenNI kill XnSensorServer issue still exists in ROS Fuerte; support of K4W is not scheduled nor expected. By contrast, libfreenect seems to have improved on both usability and supporting for the new K4W.

Is there any chance that we can get an official ROS libfreenect wrapper? I think it would be great help.

--
Regards

University of Science and Technology of China
School of Computer Science and Technology
Multi-Agent System Lab

K.Chen

Re: [Ros-kinect] Is this maillist orphaned?

Piyush
Hi Kai,

1) IIRC the OpenNI kill XnSensorServer bug was fixed in both Fuerte and Groovy. I can definitely run it without problem on Groovy.
2) There is a libfreenect wrapper that works in Groovy and with a system deb in Fuerte. See http://www.ros.org/wiki/freenect_stack. I haven't gotten around to making a groovy/hydro release yet.

Piyush

On Sat, Mar 30, 2013 at 9:40 PM, Kai Chen <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

I have not seen much progress in the last year, and the OpenNI kill XnSensorServer issue still exists in ROS Fuerte; support of K4W is not scheduled nor expected. By contrast, libfreenect seems to have improved on both usability and supporting for the new K4W.

Is there any chance that we can get an official ROS libfreenect wrapper? I think it would be great help.

--
Regards

University of Science and Technology of China
School of Computer Science and Technology
Multi-Agent System Lab

K.Chen

Re: [Ros-kinect] Is this maillist orphaned?

Kai Chen
Hi Piyush,

Thanks for your reply!

1) I am running ROS Fuerte under ubuntu 12.04 but the kill XnSensorServer issue still exists. I have upgraded to the latest version of openni_kinect and all related packges, but it won't help.

2) It's great news to hear! I am going to try it out. BTW, is it compatible with the openni driver? I saw a black list operation, will it cause openni driver not able to start? And does current wrapped libfreenect version support the new K4W module?

On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 4:29 AM, Piyush <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

祝好
Regards

中国科学技术大学
University of Science and Technology of China
计算机科学与技术学院
School of Computer Science and Technology
多智能体系统实验室
Multi-Agent System Lab

陈凯
K.Chen

Re: [Ros-kinect] Is this maillist orphaned?

Piyush
Hi Kai,

The black list is for the kernel module that registers the Kinect as a camera. It should not affect the openni driver (and is in fact done by one of the system binaries downloaded by the openni driver).

I am running the latest revision from the master branch here: https://github.com/OpenKinect/libfreenect. I cannot say whether this works with K4W. If it does not, contact the libfreenect community upstream to get K4W support pushed to the master repository. We can then change what is pulled downstream here.

Best,
Piyush

On Sun, Mar 31, 2013 at 9:26 PM, Kai Chen <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Jeff Kramer
Re: K4W
There exists a K4W versioning ofxTheo's repo. It is in testing to be pushed to master.

Jeff Kramer

Sent from my iPad

On Apr 1, 2013, at 6:07 AM, Piyush <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Thanks for your reply and work! I will give it a try.

And to Jeff,

Did you mean the repo here?
https://github.com/ofTheo/ofxKinect
But I saw a line in the description file which states that it currently does not support K4W hardware now.. Did I choose the wrong branch?