[Ros-kinect] How to get PointXYZRGB clouds from hand_interaction MIT demo or segment away hands from pointclouds?

AJN

[Ros-kinect] How to get PointXYZRGB clouds from hand_interaction MIT demo or segment away hands from pointclouds?

AJN
Hi,

This is my first email to Ros-Kinect mailing list. And it also shows that I am beginner in ROS. I have been working with PCL for a couple of months now. But I have moved to ROS and using PCl with ROS. My basic aim is to detect an object kept on a hand.

For this I am using Garrratt Gallagher's finger_interaction package. So first of all thank you Garratt for the wonderful program. Using the same package I am obtaining a point cloud of the hand and also the object kept on the hand. Now I have to segment the hand away to get the cloud of just the object and then recognize it. So for this, I was thinking of segmenting the hand away using color filters. (Remove those points whose RGB values correspond to say, skin color). But for this, I require a pointXYZRGB cloud. The point type used in finger interaction is PointXYZ and that has no RGB values. So I can't apply my method. Yes, I did try to convert the program to one yielding RGB values. But as myself being a beginner, I find it extremely hard to convert from XYZ to XYZRGB.

So PLEASE let me know if there is any way I can have these clouds with color OR add additional colors to it. Please advice if there is any other method to segment out the hand.
To add colors, I did refer to  http://www.ros.org/browse/details.php?name=pcl_point_cloud2_image_color. But the below given error kept coming.
[ INFO] [1317191683.835389200]: Reading data from 2011-09-28-14-33-06.bag
[ERROR] [1317191683.836339362]: Camera message not found in bag file.

It'd be extremely nice of whoever takes out time to reply. Thank you in advance and just like I have always trusted and been satisfied by PCL mailing lists, I am looking forward to the same from here too. :)

--
AJN

Re: [Ros-kinect] How to get PointXYZRGB clouds from hand_interaction MIT demo or segment away hands from pointclouds?

Dong.Chen
Hi,
If you use kinect as sensor to capture point cloud, in ROS you can use the package openni_camera
http://www.ros.org/wiki/openni_camera
to obtain point cloud with RGB value, because the registration of the color camera to the depth camera is already done in the package. You can use the dynamic reconfiguration tool to adjust the working mode of the camera.
if you are a beginner to ROS, i also strongly recommend you to first read the basic tutorial about ROS, because basic knowledge of how to subscribe to a topic and read data from that is required to go a further step.

Hope it will be helpful to you

Regards,
Dong

2011/9/29 Aparna Janardhanan Nambiar <[hidden email]>
[...]

[ INFO] [1317191683.835389200]: Reading data from <a href="tel:2011-09-28-14-33-06" value="+4920110928143306" target="_blank">2011-09-28-14-33-06.bag
[ERROR] [1317191683.836339362]: Camera message not found in bag file.

It'd be extremely nice of whoever takes out time to reply. Thank you in advance and just like I have always trusted and been satisfied by PCL mailing lists, I am looking forward to the same from here too. :)

--
AJN

MFG
ChenDong

AJN

Re: [Ros-kinect] How to get PointXYZRGB clouds from hand_interaction MIT demo or segment away hands from pointclouds?

AJN
Hi Dong,

As I said earlier, I have already worked with PCL and also Openni_grabber. However you won't be able to get just the point cloud of the hand through openni grabber. That's why I was so happy with the hand_interaction demo.

And yep, I have been through all the tutorials and have already done subscribing to different topics and publishing them elsewhere. That's how I basically got those pointclouds converted as pcd and got to know that they have no RGB values.

If there is any way to segment out just the hand from openni_grabber, then let me know please.

Thank you.
Aparna

On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 5:13 PM, Dong.Chen <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Aparna J. Nambiar,
Information Engineering and Media\Year 3,
School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering,
Nanyang Technological University,
Singapore
(+65) 81214039